Fire is a common element to the work place; not one of us is immune or can ignore fire in either our homes or workplaces.
British Law now requires specific Fire Risk Assessment in the workplace that will be the first step in assessing the current fire our precautions and where we can make improvements
In short, the Fire Safety has a number of factors :.
- Preventing fire begins
- If a fire happens sure as to ensure that people can escape and hopefully minimize damage to buildings and equipment
- ensure that the fire can be detected – to give everyone more opportunities to escape
- To ensure that you have adequate procedures fire emergency
- Performance firefighting – generally unwise to encourage its staff to fight fires -. But automatic sprinklers not only to fight the fire while reducing the surface spread and give people more escape time
Fire Prevention This is a key stage – ensures that people can escape equally – but if we can stop the fire gone risks are vastly reduced
Fire is more complex than. we can get brief article – the basic and obvious controls to ensure that you manage sources of heat, controlling combustible materials and flammable substances in the workplace
- Smoking is obviously guilty. work with virtually worldwide today so many old reasons are no longer relevant.
- heat – especially those with open flame such as a space heater – need to be managed -. They obviously need to be kept away from anything flammable or combustible
- Flammable items (those with warning symbols represent them as well as most of the aerosols) have the care they can ignite without flame – so they need to be kept cool and safe places. They should be kept in a suitable container and only the minimum amount held in the work -. Stores should be kept in flammable cabinets
- Ensure electrics are in good condition and properly ar – PAT testing helps ensure this. It is important that you do not overload sockets and keep equipment clear paper and even dust for a long time
Stopping Fire Spread
The features that help stop the fires start also help reduce the risk of fire is started
· Experts refer Fire Loading -. which means how much material will burn the building. The more things than can burn more fire loading. Wood, cables, paper fire or extreme heat to turn – but if the fire starts will feed the fire and encourage the fire to grow; Thus, the more flammable items on the site, the more important is to find other ways to reduce the spread of fire
· Cleaning helps -. tidy stack with walkways between not fire spread to a degree
· Fire Walls are usually in buildings – be they good or brick plasterboard – they will help contain the fire in one area -. but not if you have drilled holes or install new, unsuitable doors into them
· fire – are there to help contain the fires – they work by sitting in the fire walls and containing the fire to a smaller area 30 minutes or more. It is important that these are kept closed or automatic shutdown device possible. If they are left open fire simply spread through them and further reduce safety and massively reduce the time to evacuate safely
· Fire Shutters :. In a large retail space, high risk areas and a warehouse fire shutters replace fire doors – these operate either when the alarm is triggered or when the temperature reaches a very high level. It is important that these are kept clear at all times
· Sprinkler Systems: .. This time turn help control or even extinguish a fire
Automated systems reduce fore risks they work 24 hours a day and should cover the entire workplace – they need to be maintained on a regular basis -. at least annually
Call Points – break glass fire call points shall be distributed construction and also every fire risk to have a break glass point next to it – if fire this allows people to warn you fire has occurred. Again this should be checked and tested regularly
When the alarm is activated it is important staff and guests can escape – and indeed make an escape. . There are maximum distances set by various factors – it may need expert advice if you are unsure
But working through the basics:
· In general, you should always have an option. two exit routes – if one is blocked by fire, you have another option. Not all older buildings have this
· Make sure any exit route is clear and available -. They should be entered and checked weekly to ensure that no locked or blocked. Equally they are given to allow you to escape you should ask whether it is wise to store things in this
· Fire Stops height should result in a protected way -. These are areas that when you are relatively safe – so that they will always have at least one set of fire doors leading into them and usually sit with fire walls around them – this means the staff and guests have 30 or more minutes to escape the house to the outside
· fire drills – allow people to understand what to do in the event of a fire, along with briefings they fire training techniques. Fire drills must be conducted at least every 6 months and must be registered.
· You need a system to ensure that all is clear. Outdated roll calls have its value especially in small businesses but not limited to large companies or where visitors are frequent. Fire Wardens tend to be more efficient solution – however, they must be trained and clearly briefed on their responsibilities. They easily sweep their house to verify that everyone has left and then report to the person in charge or the fire department.
There are more sophisticated system available as Smoke vents that can enhance safe evacuation period but do need experts to help design and set
Fire Fighting :.
This can be important to fire safety, but as in most cases you should aim to evacuate staff not encourage them to fight fires. Now sprinklers are automatic and do not require human input which makes them very safe option
· Fire extinguishers should be placed at regular intervals -. But on every fire risk to have two fire extinguishers clearly positioned them. This needs to be maintained and records kept
· hoses can have value – but again need training to use effectively and safely, and again needed to maintain
Fire risk assessment allows you to fully in mind. All factors determining the appropriate set of precautions; for small businesses, this can be done quite quickly using the resources of the local regiment within you, larger companies can benefit from general advice and assistance often consultants safety or consultant – but more complex companies will require specialized fire counseling and there are many companies that provide this following recent legislative changes that performed obligation in the next brigade to the company itself.